Security Alert Notice – 9/7/2017*
In light of the recent security breach announcement by Equifax, here are 4 tips you can do to help protect your information:
Protecting your account and your personal information is a top priority for Credit Union West. Our dedicated staff constantly monitors your accounts for suspicious activity utilizing a variety of state-of-the-art fraud prevention systems.
We encourage you to take the following actions to protect your account:
- Utilize multi-factor authentication.
- Update passwords and usernames every 90 days using a combination of letters (capital and lower case), numbers and special characters (e.g. & or %).
- Set a call-in password on your account.
- Never give the login credentials to your account to anyone.
- Do not send your account number or social security number via email or social network.
- Download our iOS or Android mobile app so you can check your account information frequently.
- Set account alerts.
Credit & Debit Card Fraud
Rest assured Credit Union West is monitoring around the clock for fraudulent activity. Beyond our monitoring, there are a number of things you can do to protect yourself.
ATMs and other point-of-sale systems are vulnerable to a security concern known as skimming. Skimming is when someone steals your card information by attaching a magnetic strip called a card skimmer over the slot where you insert your card. To help protect yourself:
- Avoid unusual-looking ATMs or point-of-sale systems.
- Shield the keyboard with your hand as you enter your PIN.
- Don't let other people use your cards or know your PIN.
Online & Mobile Security
Cyber security attacks can take a variety of forms in an attempt to access your personal data. Regardless of whether you are accessing the web from a desktop computer or a mobile device, you may be at risk from hackers or scammers. If you think you may be a victim follow these steps immediately:
- Change your passwords from a safe and uninfected computer.
- Run a virus scan on the infected computer and remove any threats that are detected.
- Check your account information frequently.
If you believe your identity or personal account information has been compromised call us immediately at 602.631.3200 or 800.621.0287 (outside Maricopa County).
* Disclaimer: This information is derived from governmental websites such as CFPB and FTC and is not intended as advice from Credit Union West. It is intended only to share these sources of information and resources with you. If you have individual questions on the Equifax Security Breach or any rights you may have you should consult with your legal adviser.